Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summertime and the eating is easy!

Hey there! Yesterday after I got back from taping Good Morning America I took some time to welcome in the summer. Sure it started back on the 21st of June, but summer time doesn't start for me until I get my hands on some Nathan's goodness at Coney Island. That's my bacon cheese dog on the right, my guy sacrificed and took the less bacon-y dog on the left. Sweet huh? Also got chili cheese fries and some beer, but it was so hot and I was so hungry, I dug in. It was only a few bites in that I realized Michael Jackson was pumping on the sound system. It was such a neat treat because I'd just enjoyed my morning in the park at the Mary J. Blige show and even commented on the blog how she was my fave next to Michael. It was the perfect first bites of summer for me, kicked off by a perfect morning. Can I get old school for a second? I used to watch General Hospital back in the day and one of the characters, Sonny Corinthos, took a girlfriend there for a date. It looked like so much fun and I can't even remember what state or even country I lived in at the time, but I do remember thinking I'd love to, but probably never get to Coney Island. Now, it's in my backyard ... unbelievable. We thought the lines would be long, but we ordered pretty fast and even found a seat in the back of the patio area. Take a look at the scene ...
Totally dejavu for me, check my other posts from year's past about my annual trek to Coney Island. There's Saturdays at Coney Island from 2008 and Which is Yummier from last year. I usually visit Coney Island a few times during the summer. How neat to live so close. After washing down the last bite we took a walk on the boardwalk to work off a few of the calories and I ran into an old buddy!
That's Badlands Booker, a competitive eater I met while taping Sunny's Summer Eats. He lives right here in Brooklyn and travels the world eating and rhyming. Yep, he also raps. Very nice guy and he gave me great tips on eating wings fast when I met him in Buffalo, NY at the Wing Fest. Of course I'd run into him there, in just under 24hours he'll compete in Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. If you have never seen this type of contest before ... it's a must watch. ESPN airs the show tomorrow at noon.

Ok, have fun grilling tomorrow if it's in your plans. I'm on The Today Show Monday which means a rehearsal tomorrow, so I'll get to escape the grill for a few minutes and head to the city for work. I'll have some great recipes and tips for grilling throughout the summer months. Until then, if you missed my visit to GMA Friday in Central Park, here's a link to the video called The Best 4th of July Ever on ABC. Watch Chris Cuomo get egg on his face :-) and enjoy the weekend!

6 comments:

Kase said...

Sunny,

Hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend. My friends enjoyed Spike's joint in DC yesterday. They said the burgers were very good. I told him he had to try a milkshake, but he chumped out on me talking bout it was too hot and he would be thirsty later. Why won't the "churen" just do right,lol. I will need to give Coney Island a try, I can't tell you why I have never visited there. It's def on my to do list. Have a great day.

Kase

Anonymous said...

Hi Sunny! I love watching your show on the Foodnetwork. Your shows make my family think that I can actually cook (I'm a grad student...lol). My brother outshines me in the cooking department. I caught you on GMA this morning and I LOVE your dress! If I may ask, who is it by? I'm not much of a dress-girl, but I would definitely go out and buy that dress! I'll tell them Sunny sent me :-) I look forward to more recipes! God bless and Happy 4th of July weekend.
~Carolina Girl

Holly said...

Loved your Today show segment this morning - the allspice in the chicken skewers sounds fabulous! I also had a blast talking to you this morning - I really appreciate your taking the time to speak to me. I can't wait to meet you in person at the Atlantic City Food & Wine Festival!

Kase said...

Sunny,

Checked out the clip of you on GMA. You did a great job and looked fab as always. Chris was too funny, but I loved your response to go ahead and do you. That was classic. Have a great day.

Kase

Sunny Anderson said...

kase, i had a great weekend. my neighbor was a bit loud, but it was a holiday so no biggie. i'm glad your friends liked spike's burger's! and tellem i said they are wack for missing the shake! and since when does a good shake make you thirsty!? i must have the fat girl gene cuz a good shake makes me hungry lol. and cmon and make a visit to coney island! not a big as you think it is, but lots of fun packed into a few blocks.

carolina girl, i'm so glad you are cooking! never worry, we all have someone in our family that puts us to shame in the kitchen. for me it's my grandma and both of my parents. thanks for the compliment on my dress today, it's diane von furstenburg. thank goodness she makes size 14s! i plan to rerun this dress for years and the fact that it's a wrap helps because i fluctuate in weight, so i can tighten or loosen it. i just realized you said gma, and then also the post date of your comment. i'm confused a bit. I wore a shirt and vest on gma. my flag shirt was from new york & company and the vest I got at Century 21 in Brooklyn. let me know if you meant vest and not dress and I'll check the tag for the designer. hope you had a fun 4th!

holly! can't wait to meet you too! hug that foodie daughter of yours and get ready for some grown up fun in AC! I can't wait to sip and not swill :-)

kase, chris is a mess. I actually smile when I watch him. he has the knack of going from serious to jokes and back to serious with ease. very hard as an anchor. i wish i would've thought of the egg on your face comment first, he's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sunny! Thanks for responding to my message; I'm super excited about the dress, and the size. I'm a size 14 too. I apologize; it was on the "Today Show" from today July 5th. I usually watch GMA, but I saw that you were on tv and watched your clip. Don't tell the folks at GMA that I betrayed them...lol I didn't pay attention to which show I was watching while writing on the blog wall. Sorry about the confusion, but thanks so much for responding! All the best and happy cooking! :)

~Carolina girl