Friday, May 20, 2011

Hangin with the 82nd Airbourne and Grandma!!

Hey there! I've been on the road a bit taping a special I pitched to Food Network a few years ago. I kept getting a "no", but as is my motto, I kept trying and finally got a "yes"! I can't say it enough here if you stop by to read about my journey, that it's all about hard work and not giving up. I also believe things happen when they are supposed to so I never really stress when I get a "no", I translate it into a "not right now". Because of that I am extremely excited for you to finally see something I've wanted to share for some time, a behind the scenes look at a big part of my life ... the military! Check me out tryin to take off ...Felt like I was playing Call of Duty!! I don't want to give too much of the special away, but it has plenty to do with the military, my family and food (of course!!).

My dad was a member of the historic 82nd Airbourne as well as an Army Ranger and there are so many things about the military I wanted to share. The special is an hour long and is scheduled to air the 4th of July weekend! I know I talk about the military plenty, but it's kind of like being from another country and always wanting to impress people with all the details and cool stuff. Plus it's just in me. It's part of my life. I just want to share what I'm proud of and give you a peak at things never seen on television before due to my unique access. Here's a little sneak peak ...

10 comments:

jen @ one curly fry said...

How great that they you finally got a yes! Way to be persistent and follow your dreams! Can't wait to check it out! Congrats!

No way is that Grandma!! She's lookin' good!! :) How cute she made the Red Velvet cake! Looks good!!

Holly said...

Your grandma's red velvet cake looks soooooo good! Are there pecans in that frosting? I am really looking forward to your July 4th special and a glimpse into your military side!

Carol Ann said...

I just saw you Ice Cream in a Bag and wanted you to know about my duaghter and my's invention The Bag Holder, It's patent pending and I would love to send you one to tryout and review for us. www.thebagholder.net My daughter is a breast cancer surviour, mom of 2, runs a cleaning business and a non-profit called Cleaning with a Meaning, Cleaning houses at no charge for famlies with serious ill children. Her name is Kara Anderson and she is on Facebook, so am I Carol Roth Blodgett. WE're going to the Inventors Convention in 2 weeks. Can we add your Ice Cream In a Bag receipr to our cook book for The Bag Holder? Love ya Carol

Maria said...

Cake + Your Grandma = AWESOMENESS!!!

Can't wait to see the special.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Boy that red velvet looks so good & your grandma is a hoot! "I ain't thinkin' 'bout y'all." Look forward to your 4th special!

Chris from PA said...

HI Sunny, mother and daughter from PA again, First things first, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service and that of your family. When I see you in Atlantic City I will have an American Legion Poppy for you to show you how much we all appreciate your service to our great country. Next, wow to that Red Velvet cake. That is my favorite, does it have nuts in the icing? My mother's does not, but it sure looks good. As all of us, we are looking forward to your special from Ft. Bragg! It is going to be great. See you soon, Chris, (mother).

The Duo Dishes said...

You can't beat grandma's cake. You just can't, you just can't, YOU JUST CAN'T!!!! This is a really sweet post. Love that you enjoying sharing these things with us!

Emily Malloy said...

Love this post!!

As always, Sunny, thank you for continually being so inspiring to the foodies/food bloggers out there. You are truly incredible!

82ndSFDaughter said...

Hi Sunny! As the daughter of a retired 82nd Airborne and Special Forces soldier, I grew up in Spring Lake/Fayetteville as well! That's one of the things that got me watching you on Food Network! Two out of 4 of my sisters were in the Air Force (other 2 went Navy and Army), so as you can see, we are a military family and I can't wait to see your July 2nd special! Be blessed! P.S. Ohhhhweee!!! That red velvet cake.....that's all I have to say! lol

Jacqui said...

Hi Sunny!

I'm very happy you kept pitching the idea for this show and even happier you finally got a "yes" because it was hands down the best show I've ever seen on Food Network!

The entire hour was just so special to watch. I loved "meeting" your Grandma and Uncle, the wonderful tributes paid to our men and women who serve and their families and, most of all, your love and pride...both for your family and for our soldiers.

Thank you for this show and thank you for YOUR service!