Saturday, October 1, 2011

NYC Wine & Food Festival 2011: Burger Bash!

Hey there ... I have a busy day and woke up a bit late from a burger coma! LOL I ended up fitting in 5 burgers, 3 milk shakes, 2 orders of tots, 1 Pepsi & 2 waters. I'm sluggish teeheehee ... Ok here are some highlights ...I ran into the some of the Scotto's again! That's Marion, John and then next to him is Marty Markowitz. Marty is the Brooklyn Borough President. He is pretty cool, every time I see him on the news, he brings great personality and represents the vibe of Brooklyn so well. He works really hard. He also called me when I moved to Brooklyn to make sure I was registered to vote in this area. Gotta love it!! Ok, then there's Rosanna and City Council Speaker Christine C. Quinn. Christine is just such an advocate for the people here in NYC, looking forward to a possible mayoral run ... people are talking! Ok, I had their burger and had to get out of the way! It was busy and the blur in the next photo shows how fast her team was working to feed the crowd...
Then I headed towards another area and kept hearing about some "White Castle-like" burger. I totally am into that (don't judge me, it's a once or twice a year thing and I savor it!) So, I got in line and the first thing I saw was ...
TOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG SWEET POTATO TOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG SEE THE SALT???!!!!!!!!!
And then they DRIZZZLED SAUCE?!?!?!?! JALAPENO HONEY SAUCE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Who are these people?!?!?
Oh. Bill's Bar & Burger. Note to self, track down and make an RSVP soon. Here's a pic of the full offering, White Castle-like burger included...
I don't know if this is a compliment or not, but it did taste reminiscent of a burger from that fast food chain. Obviously, it was on a different level, but gee ... pretty darn good. I really want to eat here now. Soon. I went back for tots halfway through the night lol.
It was only after I walked away that I took my first bite of the burger and took notice of his genius. It was soooooo good. Just perfect. Then, because they were just so hot and crispy and soft inside and salted to perfection with just the right amount of sauce drizzled ... let's give some love to the tot makers ....
Yaaaaay!!!! Thanks for hustling tots all night!!!! Everyone was talking about them! Then, I headed over to see blue eyes himself ...
Bobby Flay!!! Again, it was Crunchified which made it bonafide and tasti-fied, totally not a word, but neither is "crunchified" and it works ;-), There was slaw involved and it was juicy! I made some rounds and had a burger I ate so fast it didn't get a close up picture and it was so crowded. There was a ton of white sesame seeds on the bun, it was cut in quarters and everything was so pillowy!! Here's a pic of the man serving that up...Then I moved under the tent only to find a HUGE circular display for Duff! Take a look ...
First person I saw was Geoff with a G, that's how I address him, he's so nice!! They were serving 5 shakes and pie to go with. I said to Duff, "This is crazy!!!" and he said "Yeah, I do more than cake!!!" Love it!! Here we are with silly Geoff looking in, I think it's the first ever photo bombing by someone that was supposed to be in the picture in the first place lol!!! Too funny!! Look at Geoff!!
That was a bacon-topped maple shake I'm holding. Then, he brought me a churro shake ...
It was good and crunchy! There was also a mint julep shake and then this shake I fell in love with ...
It was deceptively strong!!! Gooooooo team Duff and Geoff!!! This is a look at the main tent ...
It started to rain and everyone did their best to crowd in, some people either feeling the effects of the wine and drink ;-), or not afraid of the rain, hung out side. No biggie, the night was almost over when the rain kicked in high gear. I headed home and that's the best thing about the NYCWFF. People always ask me to compare this one to the one in Miami and I think they are apples and oranges and both spectacular for different reasons. The best thing about the one in NYC though, is I get to go home to this ...
I was trying to read the paper, sometimes it happens at the end of the day. Cheddar wasn't havin' it.

Ok, here's a link to more pictures from the events. I'm at the Grand Tasting Village tomorrow for a cooking demo!! Mine starts at 5:30pm and a ticket gets you all the tasting and sipping you can handle. Click here for a schedule of cooking demonstrations tomorrow and to buy tickets!!

Ok, hope you are enjoying the weekend!!

1 comment:

mytripletsrock said...

Wow, great job of filling us in on the bash. I almost feel like I was there. I would love to know how to make the sweet potato tots. My boys would love them! Keep up the good work and I'll keep enjoying the events vicariously thru you, LOL...

Melissa in Texas