Friday, June 18, 2010

One day @ a time - #1 Today Show - May 31

Ok, so this is the first of a day of blogs I'm posting to basically catch up ... scroll down for the details, but the gist is my notebook/laptop blew up on me just as I was getting out of the weeds, so I had to pull some weeds before I could smell the roses again ... I'm currently smelling clematis...

Monday, May 31, 2010
Back on Memorial day I woke up at 4am to get ready for an appearance on The Today Show. This would be my third visit, but the first time actually getting to cook during the segment so I was very excited. Here I am just before the segment aired ...
That's my Strawberry Chocolate Jiggle-Fluff Pie I'm sprinklin'. Who knew a family favorite I converted over the years would be in demand, but I get plenty of comments about it and it makes me feel good about liking something sooo baaaad. bad in a good way :-). I blend right into the flower arrangement, eh? That dress was a runner up for the Vice Presidential visit the week before. I was happy to have it because when I got booked for the The Today Show the week before I had no space in my schedule to find something nice to wear, so good thing I over shopped for the VP. I still have pictures and stories to tell about that, so stick around.

Here I am with all the hosts that day ...
I feel like E.F. Hutton looking at this picture teeheehee (showin' my birthdate!). That's Amy Roback, Lester Holt, Natalie Morales and Peter Alexander. I found out that morning they'd all be around for the segment and was excited to meet Lester. I watch him on some investigation shows on another network all the time and it didn't hit me until after I left that I should say that to him. Everything went so fast I didn't get the chance. We said hello, I complimented Amy on her shoes, they gave us a countdown and I started explaining my Grilled Smoked Pork Chops with Sweet and Sour Glaze Here we are midway through ...
It was a fun segment and I was happy to join them on Memorial Day. I thought I was booked because I was a veteran of the USAF, but the day before in rehearsal I mentioned it and it was a surprise to the producer. So it was nice to be booked on culinary merit alone, but super nice to be able to say a quick note of thanks to the troops on air before I began the segment. Really nice of them to give me a few seconds to stop and mention the real intent of the holiday.

After I finished up with the segment, I headed down to SoHo for breakfast with a friend to celebrate his new cook book ... details in the next post - next hour :-).

3 comments:

Lys said...

I was sooo mad - I taped GMA that morning instead of the Today show - arrrrgggg! I'm off to the Today show website to check out the vid! Love the dress and, as a totally unrelated sidenote, IMO Lester does a killer job on 48 Hours: Hard Evidence! Like when Law & Order comes on, if Lester Holt is on tv, the channel does NOT get changed :) He's a great reporter

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

I'm gonna have to come back and catch up! Just wanted to pop over and say hello - been crazy busy, and it's getting even crazier! Love that dress!!

Sunny Anderson said...

lys, don't be mad ... sot stuff spike is on your dvr now! lol. if you find the video for the today show thing, send me a link ... i tried and gave up after about a thousand or so clicks. teeheehee. ita re: lester. i think i even called him "les" like i knew him lol ... i watch him allllll the time, that and snapped.

mary, yaaaaay! you're back! we r like old friends though, you never have to explain your absence, but i'm always happy to see ya back! happy summer! did you grill yet?