Friday, June 18, 2010

One day @ a time - #2 Balthazar, Books & Burns - May 31

This is part 2 of several posts today. I'm just catching up after a computer meltdown, scroll down for the details ...

Monday, May 31, 2010
So after I left The Today Show, I headed down to SoHo for breakfast at Balthazar. Usually, I'd head back home or run errands, but that day was the same day Spike Mendelsohn was on GMA promoting his new cookbook. We saw each other the week before when I visited Washington D.C. and found out we'd be on opposite channels at pretty much the same time, so it would be hard to watch and support each other. That's when I suggested we toast and celebrate his book right after our morning gigs and he chimed in with the location. Here we are mimosa toasting away ...
Balthazar is pretty darn good, it's one of the first NYC cook books I bought when I moved here back in 2001. Spike's book: The Good Stuff Cookbook is killin' the charts and you can get it here. At one point in our conversation we started talking about cooking scars and burns and I showed him my newest one. He was confused because we'd just run into each other the week before and he didn't notice it, that's when I had to explain how I doctored it up so it wouldn't look nasty for my meeting with the Vice President, his wife Dr. Biden and the troops. I'm not great at covering up a mess on my face, but I did pretty darn well on my hand. It's in the palm of my right one so I knew it would be a yucky shake if I didn't doctor it and make it less noticeable. Anyway, that's not what I want to share, because most of it probably should've been done by a professional with some medical skill. What I do want to share is how I think it was funny that Spike couldn't figure out what the burn was from until I outlined it for him right there at the table ...

Can you tell what gave me the burn? As soooon as I showed Spike my outline, he not only chimed in with what burned me, but what brand ... that's a hint :-). I'll let you know in the next post on the way...

No comments: