Friday, June 18, 2010

One day @ a time - #6 Pizza Pizza! - June 3

Hey there! This is #6 in a series of blog posts I'm adding today to catch up. Welcome to the blog if you are new here! If you are here regularly, you may have noticed I fell off for a couple of weeks. Well, one of the weeks was because I was just so busy and couldn't stop to breathe let alone blog, but the next week when I was ready to share, my computer blew up on me. So, I've been in recovery and my old brain has had to learn new tricks with new equipment, but I'm toot-tootin' along with a smile. These blogs today are things I wanted to tell you as they happened, but with my setbacks ... couldn't.

Thursday, June 3, 2010
Well, I remember I woke up pretty tired that day but had errands to run. I got through them all and got home to realize I didn't have what I needed to make dinner and a few recipes I was developing. So, being super tired from a week of pre-6am wake ups, I sent my guy to the grocery store for a few things. Here's my culinary layman's list for my guy ....
He always asks several questions that usually repeat every time he does me the favor of shopping, so I thought I'd draw him some pics. He thought it was funny and unnecessary, but for the first time I didn't get a call or text while he was out and he returned with the right stuff! Perfect for us both because while I waited for ingredients to test a recipe, I got started on a dinner I was thinking about for two weeks.

Remember the trip to D.C. where Spike Mendelsohn gave me a tour of his pizza joint under construction? Well, I left really wanting some homemade pizza and almost every day I thought about it but didn't have to time to execute it. Thanks to some doodling on paper, a cool boyfriend and tastebuds that wouldn't let up on my brain ... I kneaded out some dough and topped it off with smoked mozzarella, garlic, pepperoni, ground beef, onions and more. Here's the oven shot ...
I roll and pull it until it's thin and then I par or flash bake my crust dry on a pan with olive oil and minced garlic, then I remove it and top it. I took that picture for myself, but when it came out of the oven it was so pretty I wanted to send a pic to Spike to thank him for the inspiration. This is the pic I sent him ...
He liked the picture, but he said it made him hungry because he was on the road headed home to D.C. from his big book tour in NYC. I apologized, but thanked him again for reminding me of something in my repertoire I hadn't used in some time. So Pizza tonight anyone?

Stick around, up next I hang out with utensils waaaay too big to actually use ...

No comments: