Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Week-at-a-glance

Hey there! I looked up and realized halfway through the week, that it's almost over! Last time we chatted I was on the way to a secret taping for a show. Look who I shot the show with ...
Look familiar!? It's Kelsey Nixon and Adam Gertler, former finalists on Next Food Network Star, Season 4. That's at rehearsal last week. We are working on a new show for the Cooking Channel called Next Food Network Star: After Party. It debuts in just a couple of weeks on Sunday, July 18th. I am really excited about this show, basically each week after someone is sent packing on NFNS, they'll arrive on our show over on the Cooking Channel to talk about getting sent home and how the competition was for them. I cannot wait! Only thing not so fun is that I know who gets the boot before it airs, which as a television viewer takes out the fun, but rest assured, I won't tell you a thing! You'll have to catch the show and then hopefully ... :-) watch our After Party. A program note, it is designed to air right after NFNS, just switch over to the Cooking Channel and we'll be waiting at 10PM eastern ... except for July 18th, the night it debuts. That show airs at ... 11PM, 1 hour later. I know, pretty late for a school night, but totally worth it! One of the judges on NFNS stops by ... I won't say who, but they have a chat with the person they voted off, good stuff. I mean even if I weren't on the show, this is right up my alley of viewing, really happy to be a part of it. I hope I ask the questions of the finalists and judges you want to know as a viewer, if you have any along the way, feel free to post them here! Hope you catch it live, or on Memorex :-). (showin my age, 35) I'll surely give a reminder here before the show begins to air. If you want to check out a new blog, give a Happy Bday over at the Cooking Channel's blog, they're 1 month old!

Remember how I told you about taping The Best Thing I Ever Ate a couple of weeks ago? Well, yesterday was the follow-up taping here in Brooklyn at the actual restaurant that serves one of the best things everrrrr. I can't tell you what it is or where to get it ... but I can share this picture. They brought it out while I was eating a smaller version as a surprise ... I immediately whipped out my phone for a pic!
What a mammoth of a ... well, can't say can I? So many secrets today, huh? Sorry. Let's see what can I tell you ...

I'm wrapping up my menus for the next season of Cooking for Real! I tape in August and the shows begin to air in the autumn months, so I'm doing plenty of off-season eating at home while in the final recipe testing stages of the process. I like to make sure that when the shows first air, they are in season. Plenty of stews and roasts and ...
Meatballs!! Like my fine china? Teeheehee. I am soooo over dishes when in recipe testing mode, sorry for being a bit too real ;-). As soon as the website gets relaunched, I promise I'll try to class it up a bit. This is in an episode I'll call "First Date Spaghetti". I can't tell you how many times over the years I've heard about a friend or someone making spaghetti for someone on the first date at home. It's an easy sell to a date, easy to prep and not a wallet buster. My version has mega meatballs I flavor up and sear in a pan then finish off in the oven and the sauce is so easy and tasty, I hope you give it a try. If things go as planned, I'll tape this episode along with 12 others in just a couple of months. I can't talk about this without an emotional knee-jerk response to tell you thank you. You with those eyes reading this. Thank you so much for the support and for watching Cooking for Real if you have already or intend to do so. Because my parents raised me, I know I am capable of anything, but because I am always chasing dreams and sometimes landing them, I also know nothing is done alone. Thank you so much for being here. I wake up every day happy and thankful.

On to today in my week-at-a-glance ...

Ever learn a new word or hear about something and the next thing you know it keeps popping up? Well, just after doing my first ever SMTea a few weeks back, I got up at 5am this morning and headed to the city for my second SMT. It was at a completely different studio and this time I was there to talk about cool recipes for the 4th of July weekend. Look who I ran into!
That's Jack, he was at my very first SMTea and if you caught the blog he's also in one if the pictures I shared, hooking me up with some audio. Today he was running the camera behind us. When I walked in and saw him I was too excited! Nothing better than a familiar face from my first go at it. Look at what time it is! 107PM. We started around 8AM and just after we took this picture I did one more interview and we wrapped. Then I headed out to another meeting about my website. I can't wait to launch it! Looks like a few months at the most and I'll have new bells and whistles.

Hey speaking of new ... I learned a new trick from Kersti Bowser and her Gourmet Butterfly crew today ...
That's my Blackberry Gin Fizz Float with blackberry sorbet ... or is it, take a closer look ...
All morning the drink sat on set and that 'sorbet' never melted. I guessed and it was right, it's vegetable shortening, lard really, blended with black berries. Smart, eh? Reminds me of one of my favorite posts here on the blog; Making food ready for it's close up. Give a read if you are in to food photography or just interested in how food is made to look so yummy on camera. Here are the ladies that pulled off the lard trick today! Chef Kersti is on the left ...
What a day! I have tomorrow off and plan to spend it in the kitchen! Then I get up early on Friday to hang out with Good Morning America in Central Park for their Summer Concert Series!! I have a great 4th of July spread ready to go and I'll post the recipes from the show on Friday. Now all I have to do is find something festive to wear! If you are in NYC, it's a FREE concert with Mary J. Blige!! Come on out and have some fun in the park! If you are elsewhere, I hope you tune in. Click the link above for all the details. Here is a map to Rumsey Field if you plan to join. I'll try to take pics and post them as well! See you Friday!

12 comments:

sbrtir said...

My cousin needed a recipe to make for his girlfriend who was a vegetarian. I gave him a Lasagna Roll-up recipe which just had cheese (no meat). He made it for her and he is sure that the Lasagna Roll-up meal is what sealed their relationship! They are now married!
Anyway...thanks for sharing your dream! Your Jacksonville friend,
Toby

Natalie @ Perry's Plate said...

Sunny, I recently started following your blog and I'm excited to see what you're up to! I love your show and I'm anxious to see the "After Party" one as well. Looks like you're having a blast.... have a great weekend!

Kase said...

Hey Sunny,

Been a minute since I could drop a note on your blog...been working crazy hours. The meatball dish looks fantastic, you definitely put your foodie foot all up in that recipe. Speaking as a loyal fan of your show, it's refreshing to have someone like you on the air who comes across as being real, down to earth, and personable, not pretentious. I have never met you, but I have no doubt in my mind that you have that same wonderful energy in real life as you do on your show. So were you able to enjoy any of the pride festivites this past weekend in nyc? I have some friends that are visiting DC this weekend, I am sending them Spike's way due to your wonderful reviews for his eatery. Got to get back to work.

Kase

jen @ one curly fry said...

Can you believe that we can finally say that the Atlantic City Food & Wine Festival is THIS MONTH!? Yay!!!!!!! So excited!!!

Can't wait to check out the new show! I'll have to record it. We've been so busy trying to sell our house that I'm forever cleaning, picking up, etc.

I'll have to make it a point to sit down and watch! Have a great holiday weekend!

Sunny Anderson said...

toby, your lasagna roll up is my fried chicken! lol ... i've gained 2 boyfriends over the years after making them fried chicken. very scary lol. food is so powerful, love it!

natalie, hey! welcome to the blog!! we're a happy friendly crew over here, just happy about food and life. happy to have ya! i cannot wait for the nfns after party show to air, not even from a "me" standpoint, i just feel it has been sooo needed! i always wonder how the people feel when let go, if there's any hind sight or words left unsaid ... can't wait! hope you enjoy the weekend too!

kase, good to see ya again! thanks about the meatballs, i had a meatball sandwich last night for dinner, yummmmy and soo wrong! but right :-). thanks for supporting my dream man, means plenty and if we do ever meet, i hope i add up to your expectations, but i'm sure you'll be underwhelmed lol. i'll probably talk your ear off about food and stuff. hope your friends enjoy spike's place tell them NOT having a shake is a crazy mistake and i reeeeally can't say enough about the burgers. i've been thinking about the texture of his burger since i had it. gonna head back soon for a bite myself!

jen, hey! i know right!? i'm headed down to ac in a few to check on all the plans, any special requests from the dj? i have 80s, 90s and current stuff with an emphasis on 80s so far. i've changed a few drinks, the distributor of liquor wanted to focus only on their rum line. and i can't wait to see the space! i'll take pics and post them before the event! we have to work out a signal! can't wait to meet ya there! if things go well, we can toast to theselling of your house? alright, don't do too much house work this weekend, relax a bit!

Samantha said...

LOL Please do not get rid of your ~fine China~! This just reiterates that you are a real person! I love your blog and how you aren't too good to connect with people! :)

Lindsey Christensen said...

First date spaghetti – love it! It’s not even 9am here in the Midwest, but I could dig into a big bowl of it right now after looking at the photo. And some garlic bread on the side…heaven! If you ask me, it’s really hard to beat good old spaghetti and meatballs. Yours looks chalk full of flavor.

Side note – I have extended family in Switzerland and when I’m missing them, any good Swiss dishes you could recommend? Know you lived in Germany for a while, did you ever foray into Deutschland’s neutral Southern neighbor?

ANOTHER side note…I don’t have a blog of my own, does that mean I’m stuck with the Jane Doe silhouette next to my name or is there a way for me to upload a pic?

The Duo Dishes said...

What ever in the world is that thing you're trying to eat? It looks massive! You have such a fun life. Want to share some of it with us?

Eric said...

I am going to try the blackberry fizz this weekend. Blackberries are one of my favorite things about summertime. Here in Alabama back in the day, I could find them growing wild, but I haven't found any in a while. I just saw you on Good Morning America, I bet that Mary J performance was awesome in person. Enjoy your holiday!

Sunny Anderson said...

samantha, thanks for giving me a pass on the fine china i dine on when testing. :-) thanks for the kind words and stuff. i'm just toot-tootin along and enjoying life, very nice to intersect with foodies and exchange info, don't think i'll ever loose the want to communicate. thanks so much for the support!

lindsey, i forgot how great and simple that meal is, can't wait to share the recipe! i think i'm even gonna freeze some and see how long they last so i can give that tip on the show. i'd love to have meatballs ready to go year round! as for switzerland, yes i've been there! on the border of switzerland and austria. we went skiing there many times while we lived in germany. my parents were really into foodie travel an adventure. as for the food, my young palate at the time felt the food in switzerland and germany were similar. i remember plenty of meat pies in the winter and a potato dish i believe is called rosti. plenty of stews. we were always there during the winter, so we ate pretty heavy ... and for the picture with profile solution ... i know many people without blogs that still make a profile without having a blog, there's a way, but i'm not saavy enough to know. i think when my website launches i'll be able to address that better. can't wait to see ya! i feel like a few people here... i'd really recognize them in a crowd!

the duo dishes, i'd love to tell ya, but then i'd get in big trouble, i on;y posted this picture after getting permission. that's how very different this dish is. i wish i could go into detail :-(. i have to tell ya, after this airs, i'll ask the owner if i can feature the recipe on my show. it's truly worth trying. so crazy sounding, but good. can't wait for you to see.

eric, yaaaaaay!!! hope you like it! blackberries are my friend! i play with them plenty in the kitchen and love when i can do a drink with them. i just made a smoothie today and thought, wish i had some black berries. instead i had strawberries, blue berries, papaya and oranges. so that's what i did. turned out yummy! hope your drink turns out great too! glad you woke up and caught gma, pretty cool huh? mary looked grrrreat! my bff said the stuff i saw that wasn't aired today will probably run next week and then be available online, really worth a view if you're a fan like me. ok, well have a great time grilling this weekend!

REYNA said...

Hey Sunny, longtime since I've posted but rest assure I have been reading the blogs and watching the shows ;). The can't wait for the new autumn shows it looks and sounds amazin'.

Have a Happy 4th of July and come back to South Florida.

Sunny Anderson said...

reyna, hey! how've you been? i know posting a comment is like totally extra, so it's just nice to know you've been around. i hope you like the new shows on the way, i haven't even taped them yet and i feel really good about the wave of recipes i'll share. lots of easy comforting food. can't wait for you to see the new stuff!